Saturday, June 16, 2012

The power of a sentence

This post has been writing itself in my head for a couple months and I haven't been able to figure out how to express what I'm feeling and thinking in a way that people could relate, yet keeping confidential information confidential but still not being so vague that people feel like they just read an obituary that doesn't tell how the person died.
Whew.
But I think that I've figured it out.
************************************************************************************
In elementary school, we learn about sentences. We learn how to structure a proper sentence.  As we continue in our learning, we learn about subjects, predicates, and verbs.  We learn the importance of subject verb agreement, where to place the commas, and not to end a sentence with a preposition {cue ms bridges's inappropriate co-ed joke}

Isn't it interesting though that all of those rules and procedures have to do with writing.  We are never really taught how to talk in sentences.  We just do it. When we first begin to talk, we get out a word here or there, and then eventually-bam-we never shut up.

Sentences are powerful.  A sentence can change so much in just the time it takes to utter the subject and the predicate.  It can ruin everything you had hoped for. So much can come from just a measly little sentence.  So much happiness and sometimes utter disappointment and discouragement. 

A few months ago, a three word sentence changed a lot of things in my life.  subject. verb. adjective.  That's all it took to get my mind spinning in a wild whirlwind of emotions I had never experienced before. I thought I would never be able to "move" on from the news that was delivered via that sentence.  Those three words changed a lot of things.  They canceled out a lot of feelings I had felt and, if I'm being completely honest, made me feel like a worthless, naive incoherent blob. 

But, the utterer of those words experienced many different emotions.  bravery.confusion.fear.  Once I got over my selfish feelings, I realized how they were feeling and how awful it was for them to be going through what they were experiencing and expressing in that sentence.  Isn't that interesting.  Two people. One sentence. three words. Yet, each person involved felt very different emotions based off of those words.

Time went on and that sentence lingered in the back of my mind all the time.  I replayed it over and over again. I revisited the emotions I felt when I first heard it, and gained other emotions.  sadness.compassion.drive to resolve. As time continued to go on, the shock of hearing those words wore off, and life began to go back to normal for me.

Then today there was another sentence.  This time, six words. Again there was a subject, a verb, and this time a noun.  The utterer of the sentence felt excitement.giddy.happiness.  But, I was again brought to those feelings of disappointment.discouragement.heartache. I don't know how the feelings will change as time goes on this time, but I'm hoping it starts to be easier.happier.settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment