Tuesday, September 11, 2012

don't forget

today was just a normal day.
got out of bed.
showered.
got ready.
went to school.

When I got to school, I started doing my everyday tasks.  They are mundane...
turn on the computer.
bring in the trash cans.
write the date on the board.

The date today was 9-11-12.  The significance of the date rang true in my mind.  I went back to that day in 5th grade.  The day I will always remember.

Then I looked at my lesson plan for the day.  There wasn't any mention of this day.  We were going to do normal things.  We were going to forget to remember.
My 3rd grade students were born in the year 2004 or 2005.  They weren't there that frightful day.  They weren't there to see a country rise from the ashes and join together as one.
Today while we said the pledge of allegiance, I looked at the 26 little faces in my classroom, facing the flag of the United States of America, speaking the words we do every morning.

and to the republic for which it stands
one nation, under God
indivisible
with liberty and justice for
all

those kids will have liberty.
they will know justice.

they are free to stand up in class everyday and utter those profound words.

I'm not sure that they know what the world trade centers were.
I'm not sure they've ever heard the word terrorism.
I'm not sure they know that 11 years ago, hundreds of people lost their lives because their liberty and justice was taken away.

After the pledge, I got caught up in the daily to-dos and didn't ever mention the significance of September 11th to my innocent students.
I forgot to remember.

But I did learn something today.
 for as long as I teach, as long as I'm in a classroom on this day, my students will know--my students will learn--that on this day in the year 2001, freedom was attacked.  They will know that their country joined together to overcome turmoil.  We will remember.

to read more about my feelings, go here 

Also, I'm linking up with other wonderful bloggers to show respect and remembrance for all those who lost their lives or loved ones 11 years ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment